Douglas Hill
opinion, humor and small town common sense
Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Proselytizing Zealots

I am put off by zealots of every stripe, from fanatical Islamists to fanatical Christians to fanatical secularists. I don't object to an individual being guided by his faith. In fact, I expect that it is important for every individual to find some sense of sanctity in life. I just don't want that individual to insist that I too be guided by his faith. The Golden Rule should be changed from, "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you," to, "Neither impose, nor be imposed upon." Proselytizing, whether in the form of a fundamentalist knocking at my door to introduce me to Christ, an Islamic jihadist waging war to make his faith ascendant, or politically correct thought police telling me what I can or cannot think, say or do, are merely manifestations of the same underlying zealotry. Enjoy your life and your faith. Leave me alone.
Reading
WALDEN
Henry David Thoreau


Listening
Simon & Garfunkel






Designed by Anja Stern (Brazil) at Blogskins
Modified and adapted by Douglas Hill
Powered by Blogger